Frequently Asked Questions

What is a holding deposit for?

This is simply a good will gesture that secures your tenancy on the property.

Why are references required?

References can be of various sorts, from an employer, a landlord, a bank etc, these references along with credit checks are useful for the landlord. The references indicate whether you are able to pay the rent and your utility bills. The references identify that you are financially responsible.

What are your Landlord‘s responsibilities?

The Landlord ensures that the property is well maintained, safety requirements are considered in each flat and a general inspection of the condition of the property is carried out on a regular basis. Fire safety with respect to the furnishings, hot water instillations and the general exterior and interior of the property all come under the Landlord‘s responsibility.

Do students have to pay council tax?

No. If ALL the residents that live in the property are in full time education, a copy of the tenancy agreement and student certificates, must be supplied to the council office.

As a tenant, what are my responsibilities?

You will be responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies when you move into the property. Furthermore a meter reading at the beginning and the end of your tenancy must be arranged by you. Paying rent and additional bills in a prompt manner is clearly a priority, as well as contacting Sterling if you have to report any damages or items that require repairs.

When my tenancy is over, what is the procedure for returning my keys?

Please ensure that all keys are dropped to Sterling‘s office either the day before or on the day your tenancy agreement ends. Should you lose a key, a new one will have to be cut and you shall be charged accordingly. For your reference, if we have not received keys from you on the last day of your tenancy, rent will be charged to you on a daily basis.

Are there any costs to incur at the end of my tenancy?

Yes and these are usually cleaning costs or damages once we cross check the inventory of the property at the beginning versus the end of your tenancy agreement (these costs may be deducted from your deposit).

What is a Tenant Deposit Protection Scheme (TDPS)?

Tenancy Deposit Protection applies to all Assured Short hold Tenancies in England and Wales where a deposit is taken. This legislation came into force on 6th April 2007 and enforces that tenants deposits must be protected through the Deposit Protection Scheme.

At Sterling, we have decided to protect any deposits under the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS) run by Tenancy Deposit Solutions Limited. The deposit will be held for the duration of the tenancy, and should there be any dispute over the release of the deposit, the scheme will be notified. All necessary paperwork required will be passed to the Chartered Institute of Arbitrator, who will provide a resolution.

Should you have any further questions that have not been answered above, please email us at or
call us on +44(0) 207 402 4000.

How do I make a complaint?

We are committed to providing a professional service to all our clients and customers. When something goes wrong, we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.

If you have a complaint, please put it in writing, including as much detail as possible. We will then respond in line with the timeframes set out below (if you feel we have not sought to address your complaints within eight weeks, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Property Ombudsman to consider without our final viewpoint on the matter).

What will happen next?

We will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint within three working days of receiving it, enclosing a copy of this procedure.

We will then investigate your complaint. This will normally be dealt with by the office manager who will review your file and speak to the member of staff who dealt with you. A formal written outcome of our investigation will be sent to you within 15 working days of sending the acknowledgement letter.

If, at this stage, you are still not satisfied, you should contact us again and we will arrange for a separate review to take place by a senior member of staff.

We will write to you within 15 working days of receiving your request for a review, confirming our final viewpoint on the matter.

If you are still not satisfied after the last stage of the in-house complaint procedure (or more than 8 weeks has elapsed since the complaint was first made) you can request an independent review from The Property Ombudsman without charge.

The Property Ombudsman
Milford House
43-55 Milford Street

Phone: 01722 333 306

Please note the following:

You will need to submit your complaint to The Property Ombudsman within 12 months of receiving our final viewpoint letter, including any evidence to support your case.

The Property Ombudsman requires that all complaints are addressed through this in-house complaints procedure, before being submitted for an independent review.